Bitterballen. They are totally different than your usual meatball, when you bite into one you get a nice crispy exterior but a soft gooey interior. Bitterballen are a popular deep-fried bar snack in the Netherlands and Belgium. This beef version is a classic and one of the most popular versions.
Dutch Meatballs (Bitterballen) Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Authentic bitterballen need a nice pure beef/meat ragout, onions garlic etc, not chunks of quick cooked beef. Bitterballen, also called Dutch dippers, are a traditional staple of Dutch cuisine. You can have Bitterballen using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bitterballen
- It’s 1 of chicken breast.
- You need 10 of shallot.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of pepper.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of nutmeg.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 250 gr of flour.
- It’s 3 of carrots.
- You need of Celery.
- You need of Bread crumbs.
- It’s 1 of eggs.
There are a number of variations on the basic recipe, but in general, bitterballen are comprised of a ragout of meat, beef. Bitterballen are one of Holland's favorite snacks. Bitterballen are a peculiar type of Dutch meatball, generally eaten to soak up large quantities of beer. These crispy, fried delicacies traditionally contain molten beef and a savory white sauce that mixes.
Bitterballen step by step
- Boil the chicken breast then cut into small pieces.
- Boil the carrots then cut into small pieces.
- Sift the flour before roasting it, then sift again..
- Blend onions, pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Then sauteed with margarine until it turns to golden brown..
- Next, put the chicken carrots, celery and pour a little of chicken broth..
- Add the flour little by little and keep stirring up the dough until it turns to thick roux..
- If you satisfy with the taste, turn off the stove, let it cool..
- Beat the egg, prepare the bread crumb and preheat the oil..
- When the roux cools, make a ball with any size you like. Dip in the egg, roll in in the bread crumbs (do this step twice to get a thicker skin)..
- Next, deep fry the bitterballen..
- Optional sauce: tomato sauce, mustard, mayonaise, cheese..
Bitterballen (plural of bitterbal) are a Dutch meat-based snack, typically containing a mixture of beef or veal (minced or chopped), beef broth. The bitterballen are small fried balls of beef ragout. They're one of the Netherlands favorite snacks. Bitterballen.net is dé snack site van Nederland, met recepten om zelf de lekkerste snacks te maken, zoals frikandellen, kroketten, bamischijf, en de loempia. Bitterballen are the Dutch equivalent of tapas; small, deep-fried meaty snacks that are usually eaten alongside a biertje (beer).