Amaranth Soup with Anchovies and Century Egg. There are many variations of this Chinese spinach soup. I especially like the century egg and salted egg version. They add a touch of richness and umami to the soup.
Great recipe for Amaranth Soup with Anchovies and Century Egg. A savory soup with amaranth also called Xiang Tang Yen Cai in Chinese restaurants, a refeshing soup for rice. In the same wok with fried achovies, add water to boil. You can have Amaranth Soup with Anchovies and Century Egg using 7 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Amaranth Soup with Anchovies and Century Egg
- It’s of Amaranth or Chinese Spinach.
- Prepare 8 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 50 g of anchovies.
- Prepare 2 of century egg (boiled).
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of chicken stock (optional).
- You need 1 litre of water.
Some recipe add wolfberries as optional to bring out some sweetness in the soup. Do not boil the soup for too long or the vegetables will lost their vitamins and nutrients (The vegetable will turn yellowish as well) Add century egg, white pepper, and light soy sauce to taste. It is as comforting and homey as an egg-flower soup can be with the added flavor of the amaranth, goji berries, and of course, the Century Eggs. In truth, the Century Eggs provide something of a foil to the rest of the soup with mouthful blasts of lightly sour, pungent flavor within the delicate broth.
Amaranth Soup with Anchovies and Century Egg instructions
- Fry garlic with peanut oil till golden brown and set aside. Fry achovies until fragrant with low heat..
- In the same wok with fried achovies, add water to boil. Switch to low heat and add salt or stock powder, amaranth, century egg and garlic and simmer for 10 minutes and serve..
- Some recipe add wolfberries as optional to bring out some sweetness in the soup..
Cut the century eggs and salted eggs into small pieces. Separate the leaves and the stems of the Chinese spinach. Peel off the skin if it is too tough to break. We have a dish cooked with green amaranth + century egg + salted egg, called 金銀蛋莧菜, which is served in a thin sauce. We wanted to try snake soup when we went to HK last yr but in-laws were afraid it'll be too heaty.