Amaranth leaves Stir fry (Thotakura fry). Home » Side Dishes » Thotakura Fry/Amaranth Leaves Stir Fry. like dal, chawal, papad or any fry or else roti and sabi….don't ask me of breakfast… L …it's always bread with honey/maggi (all time saver)….it's not my laziness that's keeping me away from kitchen…it's only my sleepless nights. One of the best things about Amaranth leaves is its availability through out the year. A regular green in our kitchen and most times I prepare a dry saute.
Thotakura can be cooked with dals/lentils, can be stir fried or just sauted with light seasoning. Today I am blogging my MIL's recipe which is very tasty and can be a side dish with plain rice, and roti. A mild and sweet flavored stir fry using amaranth leaves and potato. You can cook Amaranth leaves Stir fry (Thotakura fry) using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Amaranth leaves Stir fry (Thotakura fry)
- It’s one big bunch of amaranth of leaves/thotakura.
- You need 3 – 4 pods of garlic.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- You need of oil.
- Prepare of one big pinch of cumin seeds cumin / teaspoon powder.
- It’s to taste of chilli powder.
- You need one pinch of hing.
- It’s big pinch of mustard seeds.
This indeed is a healthy green vegetable combined with potatoes is best to relish nutritious food at your home with family. Thotakura in Telugu or Kuppacheera in Malayalam is scientifically referred to as Amaranthus viridis (green. Amaranth leaves fry – Thotakura fry is very healthy recipe. Amaranth leaves fry – Thotakura fry when included regularly in our diets, will keep the insulin levels under control.
Amaranth leaves Stir fry (Thotakura fry) instructions
- Chop and wash thoroughly amaranth leaves. Keep in a colander to drain excess water..
- Heat a wide pan, add oil. Add mustard seeds and hing..
- Once they splutter, add chopped amaranth leaves and mix well..
- If we want gravy version, then cook covered. As here vegetables are high in water content, more water oozed out when I am preparing..
- Cook uncovered for 10mins in low flame..
- Now prepare the garlic cumin powder. Chop 3-4 garlic pods. Add the garlic pods in a mortar pestle with cumin powder, salt and chilli powder..
- Crush garlic and mix well so that all powders get coated well..
- Once the leaves are cooked, add this powder..
- Mix well and fry for sometime until the rawness disappears..
- Switch off and take to a serving bowl. Serve hot with rice and rasam..
Thotakura is simple Andhra Style Stir Fry of the amaranth greens. Aunty makes this stir-fry with Amaranth stems which my mom doesn't make much. Stir in amaranth and return to a boil. Lower heat and place a flame deflector or heat diffuser under the pot. Stir-fried pink amaranth greens. by thewoksofliferecipes.