Yam and ripe plantain pottage. Ripe Plantain Pottage is a very popular pottage dish, particularly in West Africa. I'm really not a fan of squishy foods so I tend to stay way from all things squishy pottage, even the popular yam pottage. Recently, a friend, Arit Okpo, posted a lovely photo of Goat Meat Plantain Pottage on Instagram and.
In a clean pot, add.diced plantain(both ripe and unripe), add water, washed fish, diced onion, bonga fish powder, crayfish, seasoning cubes, salt,pepper and. I am making today's beans and yam plantain pottage the way I was taught. Unlike with yam pottage, you won't have to mash this at all. You can have Yam and ripe plantain pottage using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Yam and ripe plantain pottage
- It’s Half of cup of palm oil.
- Prepare Half of bulb of Onion.
- It’s 3 of red chilli (shombo).
- It’s 6 of red habanero pepper.
- It’s 1 of knorr cube.
- Prepare 1 of dry fish.
- Prepare Half of tuber of a medium sized yam.
- Prepare 3 of large ripe plantain (strong).
- It’s 2 tablespoon of blended crayfish.
- It’s Half of bunch of green amaranth.
- You need to taste of Salt.
That's a DK secret right there. Learn how to prepare this iron-rich dish of plantain pottage with unripe plantain, fish and scent leaves. I'm not sure where the recipe for plantain pottage originated, but this dish is common in Nigeria. From the use of ground crayfish as a seasoning to the use of palm oil, the recipe is very local.
Yam and ripe plantain pottage step by step
- Blend your pepper, chop the Onion then set aside.
- Next, peel and cut the yam and plantain into your desired size and shape.
- Set your cooking pot on fire then add the palm oil, heat for few minutes at this point add the Onion and sauté.
- Next, red chilli (shombo) add the blended pepper mix, fry for three minutes, season with the knorr cube then add about a litre of water to the pot, add the already peeled yam then cover to start cooking, cook for three minutes then add the plantain, and dry fish then continue to cook.
- Add the blended crayfish the taste and adjust the taste with salt, cook till it's almost thickened then add the green amaranth leaf, stir and cook for few minutes, by now it must have thickened.
- Stir and bring down then serve.
- Add the bleeee.
Plantains are one food that people do not know much about. They look just like banana, but are the less-sweet, starchier version of it. Plantains are an essential staple food for people living in tropical countries like Benin republic, Ghana, and Nigeria. Unlike bananas that are eaten raw, plantains are. This meal (unripe plantain pottage) is very rich in iron and highly recommended for diabetic patients.