Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style. Cover, and bring to a boil. Then, add peas, vinegar and raisins. This Indian Coconut Lentil Curry is full of flavor and can either be made in an Instant Pot or on the stove-top.
These Indian Lentils show just how delicious lentils can be. One taste of these Easy Indian Lentils and you'll be surprised at how satisfying and delicious lentils can be. This savory lentil dahl recipe is a vegan stew that is rich, hearty, and delicious, but also super simple and inexpensive to make. You can have Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style
- You need 1/2 can of lentils.
- Prepare 1/2 can of diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, sliced.
- You need 1 tbs of finely minced ginger.
- You need 1 tbs of finely minced garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf (optional).
- Prepare 2 tbs of garam masala powder.
- You need 2 tbs of cooking cream.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar (I used coconut sugar).
- It’s 1 tbs of oil (I used coconut).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper,.
Combine in pan lentils, salt, curry powder, undrained chopped tomatoes, onion and water. Red Lentil Dal is the perfect plant-based Indian meal! Rich, fragrant, and packed with protein for a meal you can feel good about. Dal (sometimes spelled 'dhal', 'dahl' or 'daal') is one of my very favorite Indian dishes because of how quickly it is made.
Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style instructions
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds. Fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so..
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add in the garlic, ginger, and onions, being careful not to burn the garlic and ginger..
- Cook onions until soft and translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning the spices and aromatics..
- Add in lentils and tomatoes, stir everything together, then turn heat back to medium. Add in garam masala powder, bay leaf, sugar, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Stirring occasionally, simmer until reduced to preferred consistency (I like it more like a stew and not so liquid)..
- Add in cream, then reduce once again to preferred consistency..
- Remove from heat and serve..
A red lentil dal cooks really fast, so this. This basic Indian tomato curry can be served on its own or with any of your favorite vegetables or meat added to it. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits. This tomato dal made in a South Indian style is easy and quick and utterly delicious. Serve with rice or roti for a quick meal.