NY style Bagels.
You can cook NY style Bagels using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of NY style Bagels
- Prepare 9 oz of water.
- Prepare 415 g of bread flour.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of malt syrup.
- You need 4 teaspoons of vital wheat gluten.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of yeast.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of cornmeal for coating pan.
NY style Bagels step by step
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, gluten, yeast) together in food processor.
- Mix malt syrup into 1/2 cup (4 oz) hot water, add ice to 9 oz and then mix liquid into dry ingredients.
- Let dough sit 10 minutes at room temperature for autolyse.
- Add salt and mix again, knead dough until it comes together.
- Weigh out 3-3.5 oz pieces, form tight rounds, rest for 15 minutes, covered.
- Push down and roll flat into 5"circle, roll up tightly, and roll out to 8", twist and connect around hand, pinch ends together.
- Place on cornmeal lined pan, let sit covered at room temperature 1 – 2 hours before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Boil water in a large pot, about 3/4 full. Add sugar and baking soda to pot when water reaches a boil. Maintain water at a simmer, gently add a few bagels at a time to the pot and boil 20-25 seconds per side..
- Place boiled bagels on lightly oiled wire rack over a sheet pan cornmeal side-down, add toppings before baking 20-25 minutes with 1 cup of boiling water on metal sheet pan underneath, flip half-way through baking.
- Let cool on wire rack.