Koulouri Thessalonikis/ Greek Sesame Bagels. The traditional Greek Street Snack ! I was born and raised there. It's the second biggest city in Greece.
If you've ever found yourself walking the streets of Athens or Thessalonikis then you can't have missed on all the street vendors selling these popular sesame koulouria! To prepare these Greek sesame bread rings recipe, start by making the dough. Roll the rings into the sesame seeds, pressing gently to stick and transfer onto the baking pan. You can cook Koulouri Thessalonikis/ Greek Sesame Bagels using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Koulouri Thessalonikis/ Greek Sesame Bagels
- It’s 11/4 cup of bread Flour.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of instant Yeast.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of Salt.
- You need 1.5 tbsp of Honey.
- You need 2 teaspoon of Olive oil/vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of lukewarm Water.
- Prepare of For coating.
- You need 11/4 cup of Sesame Seeds.
- Prepare 1 Cup of Water.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Honey.
Koulouri Thessalonikis (also called Simitiko), is a street food, round shaped bread product with a hole in the middle, covered with sesame seeds, crunchy outside and soft inside. It is one of our healthiest snacks as it is low in fat but very nutritional and most dietitians / nutritionists will tell you to eat one for. The Koulouri of Thessaloniki has Byzantine roots and it's origins are from Constantinople where Christians Through population exchanges between Turkey and Greece, the Greeks who resettled in These sesame covered rings of bread are not to be confused with bagels as they are not boiled. Koulouri Thessalonikis are very healthy as it's encrusted in high-quality sesame and has no added fats.
Koulouri Thessalonikis/ Greek Sesame Bagels instructions
- Mix honey in 1/2 cup lukewarm water.
- In a bowl, add flour and make 2 wells, add yeast and salt. gently mix.
- Add 2 tsp olive oil and honey water. knead into soft dough.
- Transfer dough to greased bowl and coat dough with oil.
- Cover and rest in warm place for 60-90 minutes, the dough will double in size.
- Add 11/4 cup sesame seeds in wide bowl.
- Warm water, add sugar and honey in a bowl. stir and dissolve. keep it aside.
- Gently deflate dough.Dust surface with flour and knead dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Take small portion of dough. elongate the dough ball as much possible.
- Bring both ends together, twist and knot. bring edges and seal them together.
- Dip bagels carefully in sweet syrup first and then in bowl of sesame seeds.
- Place bagels on prepared baking tray, leaving gap between them.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes until golden brown in preheated oven at 200.
- Serve with little feta cheese and cherry tomatoes.
Knead each ball into a sausage shape, carefully dip them into the sugar water and then into the sesame seeds. Gently turn ends towards each other to form a circle or koulouri. In Greece, it's not uncommon to see busy workers running to their workplace with a koulouri (a sesame bread crown) and a cup of frappe in hand. This street food-cum-breakfast is part of the Greek ritual for eating on the go, and it can be bought plain or stuffed with La Vache Qui Rit cheese or. The traditional Greek Street Snack !