Whole Wheat Walnut Bagels (Soft Bagels).
You can cook Whole Wheat Walnut Bagels (Soft Bagels) using 10 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Whole Wheat Walnut Bagels (Soft Bagels)
- You need 200 grams of Lys d'or brand (French bread /medium-strong) flour.
- You need 50 grams of Whole wheat flour.
- It’s 10 grams of Light brown sugar (or superfine sugar ).
- Prepare 5 grams of Salt.
- You need 3 grams of Dry yeast.
- Prepare 10 grams of Olive oil.
- Prepare 145 ml of Water.
- Prepare 50 grams of Walnuts.
- You need 1 liter of Hot water for kettling.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Honey for kettling.
Whole Wheat Walnut Bagels (Soft Bagels) instructions
- Preparation: coarsely chop the walnuts and roast them in a skillet over low heat until they start making crackling noises..
- Place all ingredients except the walnuts into a bread machine, select the dough cycle and press start, allowing the machine to do its job until the first rising. Add the walnuts in the case inside the machine designated for toppings and additions..
- When the cycle completes, take the dough out to a working surface, punch it down to let the trapped air out, divide the dough into 4 and roll into balls. Cover the dough with a damp cloth, and let it rest for 20 minutes..
- Punch down again to let the air out and roll out the dough to 20 cm in length..
- Place the dough so the longer side lies sideways. Roll the dough somewhat loosely..
- Seal the edges and the seam tightly..
- Roll the dough back and forth with your hands, form it into a 25 cm cylinder shape..
- Using the bottom of your palm, flatten one of the edges..
- Make the dough into a ring, Wrap the end of the dough with the other flattened end made in Step 8. Form to make it into your desired shape..
- Let the dough rest again on a parchment lined cookie sheet. It is done when the dough has loosened and puffed up. It took 30 minutes at 30℃ today..
- Preparation during rising; using a large pot that can hold all 4 pieces of dough at once, bring water to a boil. About 80℃, when small bubbles begin to form at the edge of the pot, would be the ideal temperature..
- Place a piece of paper towel on the working surface for draining the dough right after boiling. Preheat oven to 220℃..
- Add and dissolve honey into the hot water. Insert the dough, and boil both sides 15 seconds each..
- When boiling is done, place it onto the prepared paper towel, and lightly wipe off the excess water..
- Reduce the oven temperature to 200℃, bake the dough for 15～17 minutes or until golden brown..
- The seeds in the main photo are pumpkin seeds that I forgot to add in during the kneading process. Try baking the bagel with pumpkin seeds. They'll look very cute..