Simit / Turkish Sesame Bagel. Simit is one of the most common pastries in Turkey with Borek. Most of Turkish food sesame bagel people eat a simit almost every morning, for breakfast. These are so tasty eaten alone for a snack or breakfast with cheese, tomatoes and parsley or even with butter and jam!
This bread is crusted with sesame seeds and served for breakfast. Dip each ring into the egg yolk-water mixture, then transfer to a wide, rimmed dish of sesame seeds. Transfer to a parchment lined-baking sheet and let rise for approx. You can have Simit / Turkish Sesame Bagel using 8 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Simit / Turkish Sesame Bagel
- You need 3 cups of plain flour.
- You need 1 tablespoon of active dried yeast.
- It’s 1.5 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 4-5 tablespoon of dark molasses.
- You need 1 cup of warm water.
- It’s 2-3 tablespoon of vegetable oil+ more for greasing.
- Prepare Handful of white and black sesame seeds.
- It’s of Some butter for coating.
Simit, Turkish Sesame Bagel is pretty much consumed in the millions everyday in Turkey. Crunchy on the outside, soft and warm inside, Simit makes for a perfect snack on the go on its own or with fillings of Turkish cheese, salam or jam. It's also unheard of to have it without Turkish tea so, put the demlik on. Turkish simit is a delicious sesame crusted bread that you can have for breakfast.
Simit / Turkish Sesame Bagel instructions
- Add the flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a pit/ well in the center and add the other ingredients except water and sesame.
- Add water gradually to knead a soft dough(you do not need to stretch and roll or knead for a long time).
- Grease the bowl and place the dough tightly tucked in it.
- Cover the bowl and place it in a warm place for rising for 1.5 hours.
- After 1.5 hours, sprinkle some flour on the working bench and place the dough on it.
- Add the molasses in a bowl and make it thinner if needed by adding a few drops of water to it.
- Mix and spread the sesame seeds on a plate.
- Align a baking tray with baking sheet.
- Gently knead for a minute and divide the dough into 6 small equal portions (for small sized bagels. For medium sized make 4 portions).
- Work on each portion at a time and roll them thin like a rope using the thicker part of your palms.
- Now bring both ends together and twist starting from both ends to the center(twist tightly).
- Bring both ends together once again like a wreath.
- Coat each bagel with the molasses first and then with the sesame..
- Place them on the baking tray. Prepare the rest similarly.
- Once again, cover the bagels with a muslin cloth and allow them to rise for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- After about 20 minutes, preheat the oven to 200degree celcius.
- Uncover the prepared bagels after 30 minutes and bake them for 20-25 minutes or till the surface is brown (reduce temperature to 180degree after 20 minutes).
- Let cool for sometime before you can take a bite! Enjoy.
Simit is a sesame crusted, circular bread from Turkey. Also known as Turkish bagel, Gevrek or Koulouri, this crusty bread is probably the most common bread in Turkey. Simit is indeed the quintessential Turkish food; these sesame-encrusted bread rings must be the most popular snack at home. You can have simit for Place the sesame seeds on a large plate. Simit are a delicious Turkish street bread that is twisted and then shaped into a ring similar to a bagel.