Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies.
You can cook Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies
- Prepare 6-8 of ready-bake mini pie shells (depends how full you want them).
- It’s 1/2 cup of lime juice (fresh is best, but bottled is fine).
- It’s of zest of 2 limes.
- It’s 3 of large egg yolks.
- It’s 2 of large whole eggs.
- You need 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar.
- It’s 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare of ~ Optional fresh whipped cream.
- It’s 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- It’s 2 tbs of powdered sugar.
- Prepare dash of vanilla.
Butterless Lime Curd Mini Pies step by step
- Pre-bake pie shells according to package directions. While they are baking begin your lime curd..
- Use a zester or grater to zest 2 limes, careful not to get any of the white pith. Juice enough limes to get 1/2 cup of juice (about 4-6 depending on size)..
- In a small bowl beat together whole eggs and egg yolks. In a medium saucepan off heat stir together lime juice, lime zest, sugar, beaten eggs, and salt until smooth..
- Turn on heat to medium low and cook mixture, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to come to a simmer and do not allow to sit or you chance scrambling the eggs..
- Curd is thick enough when it coats the spoon and a swipe of your finger leaves a stripe, as pictured. Turn off heat, cover and let cool 20 minutes..
- Stir lime curd and spoon into prepared crusts, spreading out to fill evenly. Refrigerate uncovered (this forms a nice skin on top) at least 2-4 hours. Serve chilled..
- Add whipped cream if desired: In a chilled bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a wisk attachment add cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Wisk on medium speed until stiff peaks form, careful not to over whip so you don't make butter. ;).