Key Lime Pie. Key lime pie is an American dessert pie made of Key lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust. The traditional Conch version uses the egg whites to make a meringue topping. The dish is named after the small Key limes (Citrus aurantifolia 'Swingle'.
You won't be able to stop at just one slice. Key Lime Pie is a summer classic! This easy recipe features a graham cracker crust and a creamy filling that mixes together in just a couple of minutes. You can have Key Lime Pie using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Key Lime Pie
- It’s 28 oz of Sweetened condensed milk.
- You need 5 of Egg yolks plus one whole egg.
- It’s 2/3 cup of Key lime juice.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Graham cracker crumbs.
- It’s 1 cup of Chopped pecans.
- You need 2 tbsp of Brown sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of Cinnamon.
- You need 1 pints of Heavy whipping cream.
- You need 1 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 1 stick of Melted butter.
Recipe courtesy of Joe's Stone Crab. For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie into wedges and serve very cold, topping each. Key Lime Pie is one of my husband's favorite pies.
Key Lime Pie instructions
- Place egg yolks plus one whole egg in large mixing bowl. Whisk for a couple of minutes until frothy. Add 2 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk to eggs. Also, add Key lime juice here. Continue to whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let cool. I put in refrigerator overnight and add whipped cream toppling the next day. But you can top the pie after it cools down..
- Prepare pie crust. Place graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, brown sugar, and pecans in food processor. Pulse to mix ingredients. Do not over mix as the pecans will break up too much. I like to have chunks of pecans in my pie shell. Pour this mixture into 9" pie pan. Pour melted butter over mixture. Mix thoroughly and form around the pie pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes..
- Topping. In mixer whip the cream until it is very stiff. Add sugar after stuff peaks are formed to assure maximum stiffness. I use a decorator piping tool to cover the entire pie. You can simply pour topping over pie and spread if you like..
- Place completed pie in refrigerator overnight for best results..
- Some people like to add the zest of one lime finely chopped into the pie. Others will add the zest sprinkled over the topping. I do not add the zest to mine..
- Chop zest of 1 lime very fine. Then soak zest in the juice of this lime plus 1 tbsp of sugar for about 15 mins. Drain, squeeze as much liquid off as possible. Then sprinkle over top of pie for yummy garnish..
For years, I professed that I didn't particularly care for it. I always thought they were a bit too dense and either too tart or not tart enough. This Easy Key Lime Pie with a simple graham cracker crust is a dessert favorite! It is perfectly tart, creamy, and smooth! Key lime pie will forever be one of my favorite desserts.