You can cook Tortilla Española using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tortilla Española
- Prepare 1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium), cut into 1/8" thick slices.
- You need 2 teaspoons of coarse salt.
- It’s 1 1/4 cups of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 2 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6), scrubbed & sliced 1/8" thick.
- Prepare 1 of large Spanish onion, sliced 1/8" thick.
- You need 10 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1 cup of finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- It’s 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped.
- Prepare of Romesco sauce for serving (optional).
Tortilla Española step by step
- In a colander set over a bowl, toss zucchini with salt. Let drain for 30 minutes, pressing on the zucchini a few times to remove excess moisture..
- Meanwhile, heat 1 cup of oil in a 12" ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high. Add potatoes and onion; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until potatoes are tender but not taking on any color 30-35 minutes..
- Add zucchini; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 12-15 minutes. Transfer mixture to colander; let drain 5 minutes, gently stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese and basil; then stir in potato mixture..
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Wipe skillet clean, making sure to remove any browned bits. Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in skillet over high until shimmering. Add egg mixture and reduce heat to low. Cook, running a flexible spatula around sides occasionally to prevent eggs from sticking, until edges begin to set, about 10 minutes..
- Transfer skillet to oven. Bake until center is set and edges are golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen, then invert onto a wire rack. Using a large spatula, flip tortilla back over; let cool completely. To serve, cut tortilla into wedges and top with romesco sauce..