Chicken tortilla soup.
You can cook Chicken tortilla soup using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken tortilla soup
- You need 1 of small package of chicken thighs.
- You need Half of package of 16 oz rice (long grain) or rice of choice.
- Prepare 1 can of original rotel.
- It’s 1 package of corn tortillas (cut into strips).
- You need 1 of small white onion (dice).
- Prepare of oil.
- It’s of Lawrys seasoning salt (for tortilla strips).
- Prepare of lemon juice (for tortilla strips).
- You need 2 Tbsps of cumin.
- You need 1 tbsps of garlic powder.
- You need of salt and pepper to your liking.
- You need 2 Tbsps of butter.
- You need of toppings optional: avocado slices and/or shredded cheese.
- It’s 2 cans of small tomato sauce.
Chicken tortilla soup step by step
- In a big pot add butter and diced onion letting them turn translucent. Add rice and let it brow. Once you see the rice turn light brown add 3 quarts of water, cumin, garlic, rotel, tomato sauce, salt and pepper (always taste and add more seasoning as needed).
- While the rice is cooking. In another pot add chicken thighs salt and pepper. Do not throw chicken broth away. Once chicken is cooked cut into small pieces and add both chicken and its broth into big pot. Cooking for another 10 min.
- Cut tortillas into strips then fry in a medium size pan. Once fried put in a bowel with a paper towel. Sprinkle lawrys seasoning and lemon juice on the strips..
- It's all done. Serve in bowels and top with tortilla strips. You can also top soup with shredded cheese or avocados..
- Remember you can always use brown rice and chicken breast. I just like chicken thighs better. I have also added black beans before..