Penne with vodka sauce. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook as the label directs. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
In fact, we prefer the fatter rigatoni tubes because the middles catch more sauce. I used delallo rigatoni and used shallots instead of onion. I cook a ton and my husband said this was his favorite thing I've ever made. You can have Penne with vodka sauce using 10 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Penne with vodka sauce
- Prepare 1 of Salt.
- It’s 12 oz of penne.
- You need 3 tbsp of Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling.
- It’s 1 large of shallot or half small red onion, finely chopped.
- You need 28 oz of Can whole plum tomatoes, crushed by hand.
- You need 1/4 cup of Vodka, optional.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Red pepper flakes.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Heavy cream.
- You need 1/2 cup of Grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping.
- You need 2 tbsp of Chopped parsley or basil.
Vodka sauce is a very interesting recipe for the simple fact that vodka doesn't really have a flavor, yet when a small amount is added One thing with this penne recipe that may seem odd is that I don't add garlic. There's some garlic in the marinara sauce I use, but I don't add additional minced garlic at the. Use a vodka that you like to drink, if you can't drink it you won't eat this. I don't add the extra TBS of vodka and I cook it a little longer to cook off the alcohol.
Penne with vodka sauce instructions
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve one cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, toss and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vodka, the reserve cooking water, half teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, About 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer one more minute..
- Add the cooked pasta, the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the grated cheese and parsley to the sauce. Cook, tossing, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with more cheese..
Learn how to make Penne with vodka sauce & see the Smartpoints value of this great recipe. Yes, believe it or not, there's actual heavy whipping cream and vodka in our lightened up version of this Italian specialty—just enough for fantastic deliciousness without all of the calories and fat. Put the pasta in a large serving bowl. Pour the sauce mixture over the pasta. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, oregano and chile flakes.