Pain au lait (French Milk Bread). Petit Pains au Lait are soft french milk bread rolls that can be served at any time of the day. This is an eggless recipe for these soft french rolls. Petit Pains au lait which means small or little milk breads.
The dough is prepared only with milk and water or anything else as liquid is avoided for making this cute bread rolls. Pain Au Lait translates directly to "Milk Bread," a humble name for these slightly sweet, elegant, brioche-like rolls. Moist, eggy, and straightforward, they pair beautifully with butter and jam (we recommend Trader Joe's French Cultured Butter and Raspberry Preserves) and are perfect for dunking in coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. You can have Pain au lait (French Milk Bread) using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pain au lait (French Milk Bread)
- You need of A. Bread.
- You need 230 g of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 60 g of bread flour.
- Prepare 125 g of whole milk.
- It’s 40 g of sugar.
- It’s 4 g of instant yeast.
- It’s 3 g of salt.
- It’s 1 of egg (50g).
- Prepare 65 g of unsalted butter.
- You need of B. Topping.
- It’s 30 g of pearl sugar.
- You need 1 of egg +15ml water.
Sourdough Petit Pain au Lait (French Milk Bread) This month for the group We Knead to Bake we baked this petit pain au lait. The recipe provided used commercial yeast but I wanted to use my wild yeast starter. So I converted the recipe to accommodate the starter.. The end result was a lovely flavorful bread, light and delicious.
Pain au lait (French Milk Bread) step by step
- In a mixing bowl, mixed all the ingredients (exept butter) together. Use a spoon to slightly stir it until it form a sticky dough. Use the dough hook in the machine to beat the dough at medium to low speed for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add butter change from medium to high speed for about 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and leaves the side of the mixing bowl..
- Transfer the dough out to a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead Lightly knead, shape into a ball. Cover the dough with a wet towel or clingy wrap in the process of proofing..
- Let it proof 30 minutes..
- Divide into 6-8 equal portions. Cover by clingy wrap and rest 10’..
- Roll the dough into a long cylindrical shape. Transfer the dough to the baking tray and and let it proof until it is double to triple in size (about 60’)..
- Preheat the oven to 210oC. Prepare 2 cups of boiling water to be put in 2 different corner of the oven..
- Once the proofing is done, brush the dough with egg wash and use scizzor to make zigzag cut..
- Sprinkle pearl sugar on top..
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bread is golden brown..
- Ta da….
- So soft inside!.
- Best served with a cup of milk coffee..
- Lovely bread!.
Great recipe for Pain au lait (French Milk Bread). I'm so impressive with this bread when reading on blog named bisous à toi. Therefore I made these ones for my cravings! Mix the flour, salt and sugar together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast/milk.