Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method). Hokkaido milk toast (北海道牛奶麵包) is popular Asian bread which is well known for its beautiful soft-pillowy Hokkaido milk toast – Indeed very soft and delicious! Hokkaido milk toast is popular Japanese-style bread that is soft, thick, fluffy and addicting. This milk bread recipe uses the tangzhong roux method which helps create a tender loaf of.
This Japanese milk bread is the softest, lightest & fluffiest bread ever. Since I've been working with the Tangzhong method a lot, I decided to revisit the milk bread which was the first recipe I tried, which you can read about here. This Hokkaido Milk Bread utilizes the Tangzhong method to produce a light and fluffy bread full of melt-in-your-mouth flavor. You can have Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method) using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method)
- Prepare 560 g of bread flour.
- It’s 70 g of cane sugar.
- You need 2 tbsp of full fat milk powder (heap full).
- Prepare 10 g of instant yeast.
- Prepare 2 of large eggs.
- You need 60 g of whipping cream.
- It’s 40 ml of full cream milk.
- It’s 160 g of tang zhong.
- It’s 60 g of unsalted butter.
- It’s 8 g of salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of taro essense (optional).
- You need of Tang Zhong ingredients.
- It’s 240 ml of water + 40g bread flour.
Hokkaido Milk Bread was the BOM (Bread of the Month) for July for the Artisan Bread Bakers FB Group. I'm late to the party, but believe. Hokkaido milk bread recipe is one of the popular Japanese Bread types that have rich flavors of milk. Last year when I baked whole wheat bread with tangzhong method, the bread turned out to be awesome.
Hokkaido Milk Toast (tang zhong method) instructions
- Make tang zhong first: mix 240ml cold water with 40g bread flour until dissolved. Cook the mixture until boiling. Remove from fire, let cool..
- Mix flour, sugar, milk powder, yeast, tang zhong in the mixing bowl. Break the eggs, mix with cream and milk. Stir well..
- With mixer speed low, add egg mixture into the flour mixture. Let it knead about 10 minutes, then add butter and salt. Keep kneading until window pane appears..
- Put the dough inside a big bowl, cover with cling wrap. Let it rest until double in size. You know it's ready when you poke the dough and it doesn't spring back..
- Divide the dough approx 180g each. Shape into round shape, cover with kitchen towel. Let the ball rest for 15min before shaping into a toast..
- Using the rolling pin, Roll the dough into rectangle, then roll it into cigar shape. Turn 90 degrees, repeat the step again..
- Brush the mold with butter or margarine. Put the dough in. Cover with kitchen towel. Let it rest until double in size again..
- After 30minutes, turn on the oven 180°C. After double in size, brush the top with egg and bake the dough about 35minutes. If the top brown to fast. Cover top with aluminum foil..
- Remove from the oven, and let cool on the cooling rack..
I knew the benefit of tangzhong, hence was equally. At this temperature the flour undergoes a change (gelatinizes?). Adding this roux to your final dough makes a huge difference in the. Hokkaido milk bread and laminated dough morning buns with white chocolate gianduja hazelnut spread. two recipes for fluffy tangzhong bread. Hokkaido milk bread is pure joy, not only was it fun to bake, and so satisfying eat, but I really enjoyed experimenting.