Hokkaido (Japanese Milk Bread). How to make the softest Hokkaido japanese milk bread without stand mixer or any machine with Tangzhong method (water roux). Also referred to as Hokkaido milk bread, these rolls are incredibly soft and airy thanks to a simple technique involving a roux "starter," known as tangzhong. The softest, & milkiest Japanese milk bread, that will make the best sandwiches or dinner rolls!
As the name suggests, this bread originates from Japan. Milk bread is a staple in Asian bakeries. It's a pillowy-soft, sweet, and fragrant enriched bread made with cream and a roux-like paste called tangzhong. You can have Hokkaido (Japanese Milk Bread) using 14 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Hokkaido (Japanese Milk Bread)
- Prepare of For the starter:.
- You need 1/3 cup of bread flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare of For the dough:.
- It’s 3 cups of bread flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 2 1/4 teaspoons of rapid rise yeast.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of softened butter.
- It’s 1 of egg room temp.
- It’s 1/2 cup of warmed milk.
- You need of Milk for brushing on top before baking.
- It’s of Melted butter to brush on top after cooking.
When I first set out to make Hokkaido milk bread from scratch, I was nervous. These sky-high, snow-white loaves are the cornerstone of any. When panko, Japanese bread crumbs, first appeared here, American cooks leaped to embrace their spiky crunch. Surprisingly, milk bread with an incomparable crumb and buttery taste is a snap to make at home, using supermarket ingredients.
Hokkaido (Japanese Milk Bread) step by step
- In small sauce pan, combine all ingredients for the starter. Whisk until smooth..
- On medium heat, cook until thickened. Spoon should leave trail on bottom of pan..
- Remove from heat and place in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and push down so wrap sits on top of starter. This prevents skin from forming..
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast half the starter mixtureand salt. Stir until combined..
- In stand mixer bowl with doughhook attatched, add flour mixture, butter, egg and milk..
- Mix on low speed until dough is sticky but pulls away from sides and doesnt stick to hands..
- You may have to add some flour if it appears to loose..
- In bowl, grease tops and sides of dough..
- Cover with towel and let rise until doubled in size..
- Punch down. Divide dough into rolls or loaves. Can even use for cinnamon buns..
- Place in greased pan and let rise again..
- Brush tops with milk..
- Bake at 350 until golden brown..
- If browning to fast, cover withfoil until bread is cooked completely..
- Serve hot. This bread stays soft for days in wrap..
- I made 5 mini loaves and one pan of rolls from this recipe :).
- The starter you have left you can make another batch with or recipe can be doubled to use all of the starter..
Hokkaido Milk Bread (Soft, Fluffy Asian Bread). The ultimate soft, fluffy, Asian-style bread with tender-but-chewy texture…it seems impossible to recreate at home but as I will show you, it is so easy! Hokkaido Milk Bread – Light and fluffy Japanese bread that is easy to make! This milk bread is perfect for breakfast with a bit of butter! Milk bread (or shokupan) is a Japanese bread made from a Tangzhong base.