South African milk tart. My 'ouma' South African grandmother's legendary milk tart. The recipe is a real winner. It is a traditional South African tart that is very easy to prepare.
Melktert, also known as South African Milk Tart, is a delicate but decadent dessert. With a flaky crust and topped with a generous dusting of cinnamon, this tart is creamy and luxurious — a traditional sweet pie South Africans love. Serve it after dinner or as a teatime treat! You can have South African milk tart using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of South African milk tart
- You need 3 tbsp of melted butter.
- You need 3 1/2 cup of milk.
- Prepare 2 cup of crushed biscuits (Marie or other).
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of flour (heaped).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of maizena or other corn flour(heaped).
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 of powdered cinnamon.
Milk tart is a South African favourite for tea, birthday parties or just after dinner dessert. It is generally served in slices of a greater pie but can be made into smaller individual pies and even bite-size tartlets. Every home industry, school cake sale, Church fete or funeral in South Africa will inevitably have. This monsoon try making a lip smacking South African Dessert "Melktert" / Milk Trat.
South African milk tart instructions
- Mix crushed biscuits with the melted butter and press into a pie dish..
- Heat 3 cups milk with sugar and butter, setting aside the other 1/2 cup for later..
- Separate eggs, beat yolks and add to the milk..
- With the 1/2 cup milk which was set aside earlier, mix flour and maizena to a paste..
- Add to the mixture, always stirring..
- Remove from heat..
- Beat egg whites to a stiff peak, then fold into the milk mixture..
- Pour into crushed biscuit base, sprinkle with cinnamon..
- Allow to cool, and enjpy!.
Learn how to make eggless Milk Tart By Megha Joshi ony on India Food. Melktert (/ˈmɛlktɛrt/, Afrikaans for milk tart) is a Afrikaner dessert consisting of a sweet pastry crust containing a custard filling made from milk, flour, sugar and eggs. The ratio of milk to eggs is higher than in a traditional Portuguese custard tart or Chinese egg tart. South African melktert is a milk tart that is rich creamy and delicious. Having a tart pan makes it super easy to make and serve, this is the one I like to use.