Fermented Carrots. Another great ferment for those with still a bit of trepidation when it comes to embracing our. Lacto-fermented foods, including these delicious carrots, are rich in healthy probiotics. Keep in mind that cooking destroys those good-for-you probiotic bacteria.
Fermented foods are all the rage right now. Product links in this post are affiliate links. Fermented carrot sticks are a great crunchy fermented snack and an easy introduction to fermented foods for kids. You can cook Fermented Carrots using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fermented Carrots
- It’s 3 Lbs of Carrots.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- You need 6 of Jalapenos.
- It’s 3 Tbs of Salt (sea salt or Ancient Himalayan Salt).
- Prepare 1 Liter of Water (non chlorinated).
Prepared according to this recipe, they are fairly mild in flavor. We've made a vinegar-based carrot pickle for years (it's extremely spicy) that If you've never fermented carrots (or anything) before, this is a great place to start. Ever wondered how fermented carrots are made? I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post.
Fermented Carrots instructions
- Slice carrots into chips or sticks, it is personal preference. Slice onion and Jalapenos..
- Fill large Mason jars with the vegetables..
- Mix Salt with the water to create a brine. Pour into jars and fill to 1 inch below top..
- You must weigh down the vegetables so they don't float to the surface. I use glass weights. As long as it isn't metal..
- Now myself, I use air lock lids which are fantastic (purchased mine online). Another option is to use a small ziploc bag. Push bag into the neck of the jar and fill bag with water to the top of jar. This will allow the CO2 to escape from jar and keep air from contacting the vegetables..
- Allow vegetables to ferment for 7 days in a dark corner of your kitchen. Afterwards you can place lid on and put in fridge. The longer it ferments the better it is, I like mine to ferment for 10 days. You will see it start to bubble after the second day..
Pickling is not solely the province of sweltering August kitchens, nor does it require vinegar. Shockey prepares three easy carrot ferments that make a delicious, healthy addition to any diet — no crock. This fermented ginger carrots recipe uses lacto-fermentation, a different method than is used to make kombucha. Essentially, the brine (salt water solution) that forms around the veggies is enough to. Fermented Ginger Carrots is the perfect thing for you!